7.05.2011

Recipes for the Fourth

I promised that there would be recipes on this blog. And, although the fourth has already passed, how about a little red, white, and blue?
Sorry for the not-so-great picture. It was taken with my Droid because I've lost my Cannon. Anyway, these are Kool-aid pies, and they are very easy to make (and also fairly cheap for pies). The recipe can be easily modified for people with diabetes or who are dieting.

1 Packet of Kool-aid (any flavor of your choice; I suggest a flavor like Fruit Punch or Strawberry for your first one, just so you can try it out, then go wild)


1 Can of Sweetened Condensed Milk (If you are worried about sugar, you can do evaporated milk and add sugar or sugar substitute to taste, or you can use the low-fat stuff)

1 8-oz Tub of Cool Whip (You can also use reduced or low fat)

1 Graham Cracker Crust


Mix your the sweetened condensed milk, Kool-aid, and Cool-whip together. *Tip-If you have time, I suggest thawing your cool whip thoroughly because it does mix easier. If you can't, when mixing, just add a little at a time (I have had to do this numerous times, especially when I've had a get together I've forgotten about and needed to make something fast. It still works, it's just a little harder to stir).*
Spoon into the Graham Cracker Crust and chill for 30 minutes to an hour. Slice and Serve :).


Now for the Punch.


I made Patriotic drinks as well. I've also made the Strawberry Punch for True Blood nights and more. They are delicious!

I use Verdi Spumante (It's a cheap Italian sparkling wine that's about 7.99 for a large bottle), but you can use any brand of champagne or sparkling wine. You can also do flavored versions (I really like the raspberry)
Strawberry Juice (or any fruit juice, really; it depends on what fruit you want to add)

Strawberries
Mix it all together and chill.
I made a blueberry version and a strawberry version. If you do not drink, I think you could probably use sparkling cider and get the same results. 
One thing I did to make it pretty, which unfortunately you can't see in the picture, was make an ice ring with the strawberries and syrup (along with a little water). If you want to make a really good ice ring, use a bundt pan.
As always you should, DRINK RESPONSIBLY!

Hope you had a great 4th!

No comments:

Post a Comment